Plan NOW to communicate after an earthquake:
1. Locate a safe place outside of your home for your family to meet after
the shaking stops.
2. As soon as possible, contact your Block Captain and report the condition
of your family. Hang the appropriate colored sign in the front window or
on the front door. These are in the back of your “Family Emergency
Handbook.” (Green-All is Well, Yellow-Need Help, Red-Critical,
Black-Deceased persons here, Blank-Write necessary information on).
3. Establish an out-of-state contact person who can be called by everyone
in the household to relay information.
4. Teach everyone in family to use whistles or knock three times
repeatedly if trapped. Rescuers searching collapsed building will be
listening for sounds.
5. Listen to your radio or portable radio for official information
concerning what to do.